It’s always annoying when houseguests stop by unexpectedly. This is especially true for ants. Ants seem to find their way into homes through the smallest cracks. They can even come in through open windows and doors. How did they get into your kitchen? Why are they in your bathroom?
While ants are small, they can be an inconvenience for many homeowners. That’s because it’s rare to see just a couple of ants. Ants are social and tend to hang out in large groups, so it can be impossible for the average homeowner to kill them all on their own.
Find out what attracts ants in the house so you can take the proper steps to keep your home clean and pest-free. Count on American Pest Control to tackle your pest infestations.
What Attracts Ants in the House?
Why are ants in your house? Like humans, ants are motivated by three main necessities:
- Food: Ants are on the lookout for food in your house, so be sure to clean up crumbs and spilled food promptly. Keep chip bags closed tightly, and make sure the lids are secured on containers of rice or flour. The same goes for pet food. Don’t leave it lying around. If your dogs or cats don’t eat it promptly, put it back in the pet food container so ants aren’t tempted. If you have birds, keep their food in containers and clean up spilled seeds promptly.
- Water: Ants also need a water source to keep their colony hydrated. That’s why you may see them in your bathroom, such as in the sink, in the bathtub, or even around your toilet. It’s possible they may be around water sources outside as well. You may find them around sprinklers, dripping hoses, and wet soil.
- Shelter: You want to live in a safe place, and so do ants. They want to keep their colony safe in your home, especially if it’s too hot or wet outside. Ants are very small and can easily find ways to get inside your home. Look for trails around doorways, window sills, and cracks and holes in the walls.
How to Prevent Ant Infestations
You know what attracts ants in the house, so what do you need to do on your part? Here’s how to keep ant infestations at bay.
- Get rid of standing water: Ants are enticed by water that can support their colony. Even the smallest puddle outside your house can invite ants. A leaking hose can attract them, so take a look around your home and eliminate any wet soil.
- Clean up after yourself: Messy homes attract pests, and ants are no exception. Food is primarily what attracts ants, so don’t leave plates lying around. Wash dishes daily, wipe down counters, and keep your floors clean as well. Go through your home with a mop or broom on a daily basis to sweep up crumbs and other debris that can attract ants.
- Seal in ant entrances. Ants can enter your home through the tiniest crevices, so it’s a good idea to do a thorough inspection of the exterior of your home. Are there gaps or cracks where they can enter? Keep in mind that ants are just 1/12 inch long, so they don’t need a huge opening to cause chaos in your home. Look for cracks in concrete, gaps in window and door frames, and unsealed openings in ductwork and pipes. Use caulk to seal in these gaps.
What to Do if You See Ants in Your Home
Many people try DIY tricks when they stumble upon ants in their homes. They may simply smash the ants or spray them with store-bought insect spray, only to see more ants in full force the next day.
What’s the issue? There are many types of ants, and the ant repellent you’re using may not work for those species. Plus, you have to remember that if you see a few ants, there is likely a whole colony nearby. This means you may not be using enough ant bait to kill the entire colony.
DIY solutions don’t always solve the problem. In fact, they can make matters worse, which is why they are not recommended. If you see ants in your Illinois home, your main course of action should be to call American Pest Control. We’ll act quickly and provide you with expert services to keep the ants from returning.
We also offer quarterly services to get rid of other insects and pests that invade your home every season, such as:
Contact Us Today
Now that you know what attracts ants, you can take the proper steps to prevent infestations. If you do see ants in your home, get rid of them for good with American Pest Control’s expert services. We’ll keep them from causing damage to your health and your home.
We can come to your home or business on a quarterly basis or as needed. Contact American Pest Control today for a quote in Central Illinois.