Sunny weather brings many people outdoors for a variety of fun activities. Along with our plans to avoid common summer dangers like sunburn and dehydration, we should also know how to keep flying insects away, as well as what to do if we get stung. Flying insects in Illinois can carry a number of dangerous diseases that can be transmitted through bites or food contamination. Stinging insects like wasps and yellow jackets have even been known to cause allergic reactions that send people to the emergency room. Thankfully, there are things we can do to help avoid these dangers.
Bees are important and valued flying insects in Illinois, and elsewhere, and should always be removed by a professional. Do not attempt to get rid of them yourself, and please do not harm or kill them. The best way to ensure the safety of the bees and yourself is to contact a pest control company or bee removal expert to relocate them.
Mosquitos are most abundant as the sun is coming up or going down. They also love wet areas with places to hide, like recently watered grass and weeds, or pools and birdbaths. Try to run sprinklers after the sun has gone down and you are staying inside, and be sure to drain wading pools and birdbaths before evening gatherings. You should always wear mosquito repellent when spending time outdoors, especially in wooded or grassy areas and near bodies of water. You can also protect yourself by wearing long pants and sleeves outdoors and by lighting citronella candles.
Yellowjackets, hornets, and wasps are attracted to smells like perfume, shampoo, food, and drinks. This means that you will frequently spot them at gatherings like barbecues and picnics. Follow these tips to keep away flying insects in Illinois and avoid getting stung.
- Keep food items stored in sealed containers
- Use clear cups instead of cans when drinking so you can see if anything is inside
- Clean up spills and garbage immediately
- Make sure there are no holes in screens and that doors stay closed
- Serve food and drinks indoors whenever possible
- Hire a professional pest control company to treat your property – do NOT swat at a nest or try to remove it yourself!
WHAT TO DO IF YOU GET STUNG
If you get stung and experience shortness of breath, itchiness, or dizziness, see a doctor right away. You may be having an allergic reaction and will need medical assistance. Otherwise, there are some simple home remedies you can try to alleviate the pain and aid healing.
- Apply ice for 20 minutes to numb pain and reduce swelling
- Mix baking soda and water to create a paste and apply it to the sting
- Use a couple of drops of lavender oil to help with the pain
- Apply toothpaste to the sting and leave it for 15 to 20 minutes
- Apply honey and wrap the area in gauze
AMERICAN PEST CONTROL
American Pest Control can help you get rid of all kinds of flying insects in Illinois. We’ll visit your home and conduct an assessment before creating a service plan to treat your pest control needs. Our trained experts are equipped to remove nests and eliminate stinging insects and other flying pests. We also treat commercial areas to help you present a safe environment for your employees and customers. Contact us today to get started!